Saturday, February 29, 2020

HEALTHY BODY: CHECKING IN ON THE SUGAR THING



Well, here I am on the cusp of March.  I started this blog on January 1 to announce I am avoiding sugar.  Then I decided to also talk here about other health-related issues and how they may link with saving the planet.  I note it's been a month since I've written.  I can explain.....it takes every ounce of available energy I have to drive by Starbucks.  Who has time/energy to sit down and write a blog post?!?

HAHA  Just kidding.  The truth is that it's been surprisingly EASY to drive on by.  It's been less easy, but still not terrible (no fingernails bitten to the nubs) to walk on by the dessert table at various events I've attended, to turn down free samples at the market, to gaze, but not buy at the pastry case.   I even said no thanks to birthday cake at my granddaughter's party this week.  This, my friends, is utterly unheard of!

So, still no cookies, candies, cakes, pies, apple fritters, donuts, mochas.  Am I perfect?  Nope.  I'm still eating a bit of my homemade raspberry jam occasionally.   I've developed a taste for Medjool dates (had to stop buying them).  I check labels for added sugars and find it's impossible to find much that has zero added sugar, so I will get if if it's less than 2 grams, which is like 1/2 teaspoon in a serving.  So shoot me.

I immediately lost 4 pounds but then stopped losing weight, which shocks me; I think  I should have lost more of course, so I must be compensating elsewhere.  Just not sure where that is.   New fitness goal is to really and truly commit to YMCA classes and walking the track there when I don't get out to my waterfront walk with Hub.  The waterfront trail we walk is about 4.5 miles and I get my whole day's allotment of over 10,000 steps in about 90 minutes. Efficient, but I'm a fair weather walker so on those drizzly cold days, I just blow it off.  (Spring is on the way!)

I'm reminded that as I grow older, this emphasis on eating well and moving more is a time-consuming proposition.  Some of my friends and I joke that staying alive at our age is a full-time job.  And it often feels that way for sure.  But we are not just trying to "stay alive" but to stay alive in the most healthy and active way possible.  And that takes some effort.

I'm so grateful for the "Sugar-free 2020" FB group, started by a local woman who I've now met and like.  We all log on and share our tales of success and setback -- encouraging each other not just to avoid sugar but to make healthy choices around food and activity every day.  We hold each other accountable and when we slip up we are there for a word of encouragement to keep going.  When we are on track, we get to report that too and the cheering section applauds.

So, on I go.  Determined, setting new goals, feeling positive if not perfect.  And in total amazement that my "avoid sugary treats" intention is taking root.  I'm all about the fruits and veggies these days.  Go figure.

Here's to health, for ourselves and our planet....©

No comments:

Post a Comment